There is something about pizza that makes the soul sing. Add a campfire and a beach at sunset and you've got yourself a magical pizza moment that you'll never forget.
On our recent road trip Laurie perfected his van pizza and we've had so many people ask for the recipe that I thought I'd ask him to put one together for us all. Guys, full disclosure, he makes it up every time, but it seems to always work!
So here is Laurie's (sort of) recipe for Pizza à la Camper Dreamin'.
- just over 1/2 cup of plain flour
- 1/2 tsp yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- splash of olive oil
- splash of water (plus further splashes if needed to get to a springy dough consistency)
- sauce of your choice (our favourite is tomato, garlic and oregano)
- toppings of your choice
- Combine dough ingredients and knead together on a floured surface to create a dough with a springy consistency. Add another splash or two of water if feeling too dry.
- Place the dough in a bowl and cover with a tea towel. Allow dough to rise while you make the sauce and prepare your toppings. It rises particularly well if you place it over the steam of the sauce while it cooks.
- Once the dough has doubled in size (allow for 30-45 minutes) it's ready to go.
- When dough, sauce and toppings are ready, heat a dry frying pan (preferably over a campfire) and get it nice and hot. No need for oil.
- When really hot, add the dough and spread it out with your fingers (careful!) to create your pizza base.
- Cook the base on one side for 30 seconds or so then flip it over. It won't take long.
- Take it off the heat and quickly add sauce and toppings to the cooked side. Cover with foil and return to heat to cook for another 30 seconds.
- Voilà! Pizza is done. Best served with a glass of red wine and a beach at sunset.